Monday, August 6, 2012

Pico de Gallo





Coming from Philippines, I never get the taste of authentic Mexican foods until I came here in the U.S., and  Pico de Gallo is one of them that I came to love.  Every time I make this particular dish, it always bring me back to my old job in Texas.  It was first introduced to me by one of my closest co-workers (very sweet Hispanic lady) during our company potluck. Fortunately, Andre also enjoys it (I guess, that made the two of us).  We have tried so many different variations from different restaurants or making it from scratch.  This particular one has our own personal twist that I thought deserves a spot in my cookbook (yes, I created a personal cookbook which is composed of great recipes we've collected over the years.) since it has the right balance of ingredients and taste to our preference.
Pico de Gallo is like a salsa, made of chopped, uncooked condiments.  It can be used in so many ways in dishes like crostinis, tacos or fajitas, but we both prefer having them with tortilla chips (cilantro-lime flavor, yum!) as a side dish.  



Ingredients:

5 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/3 cup chopped red onions
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
squeeze of 1 good size lime, or 2 small ones
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced, or 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno in a jar (this is very handy to me as I can always save the rest in the fridge for so many usage, and it works fairly well)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients, cover and let it set for at least an hour before serving, for all the flavors to marry.  Serve over tortilla chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment