Monday, August 20, 2012

Sauteed Bitter Melon (Ginisang Ampalaya)




Every time my husband will go on his business trips for few days, I take the opportunity of cooking some very exotic Filipino dishes.  Honestly, I appreciate for his interest and eagerness to try new foods from my culture as some of them don't look as appetizing (not to scare you) but the thing is, only taking the bravery of trying out (or out of curiosity) with the unfamiliar is what makes us explore and discover better things.  Although, he loves most of my Filipino foods but this particular one is not one of them.   But one day, he will, I hope.  So, what I made today is called Ginisang Ampalaya, also known as Sauteed Bitter Melon.  It's very easy and simple.  Rhetorically, the dish has a bitter taste but not to be alarmed because the process of making the dish helps lessen the bitterness of the melon and being sauteed with other spices give balance to the flavor.   I like what Ray says on his blog, "either you love it...or hate it!" and it's true.  Growing up, I strongly disliked this dish simply because I never got used to the bitterness that I thought eating them would be torture...but as I got older the taste had slowly acquired in my palate.   However, to my surprise though, my little Sweetpea also joined digging into my plate as I was having them for meal...made me a very happy Mama!  


Ingredients
 
3/4 lb Ground Pork or Ground Turkey (about 340 grams)
2 medium Bitter Melons
1/2 small Onion – sliced to 1/4 inch strips
5 cloves Garlic – finely minced
1 medium Tomato – diced
4 eggs – beaten
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
2 tablespoon Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cut bitter melon in half – lengthwise.  Remove the seeds by scraping them with a spoon.  Slice bitter melon to 1/4 inch thick.  In a bowl, place sliced bitter melon in 3 cups of lukewarm water, add 2 tablespoon salt then set aside for about 20 minutes. This process with lessen the bitterness of the bitter melon.

After 20 minutes, transfer bitter melon in a colander to drain.  Place colander under a running water.  Wring the sliced melons several times to get rid of the salt.  After the last wring, set bitter melon aside in a bowl.

Place wok or large pan over medium-high heat then add oil.  When the oil is hot, Add garlic, and tomato.  Stir fry until tomatoes are soft and almost mashed.  Add ground meat.  Stir fry until meat is golden brown.  Add oyster sauce and chicken broth.  Stir until it boils.  Lower heat to medium.  Add the sliced onions and bitter melons.  Stir for 2 minutes.  Set all the ingredients to the side of the wok.  Add beaten eggs in the middle of the wok.  Stir until softly scrambled.  Stir in all the ingredients back until fully combined with the eggs.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve hot with rice.

Recipe courtesy:  Wok with Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment