Monday, December 16, 2013

Caldo De Res (Beef Soup)

Caldo De Res is a traditional Mexican dish, very comforting and hearty.  For me, it's best served in cold, fall-like or wintry days.  I did not know much about this dish until I saw a post from a friend on facebook.  It was during one very cold day, while I was wearing my pj's curled up on the couch trying to get toasty in front of the fireplace, looking at the picture of Caldo de Res made me salivate as I could have just imagined the warmth and wonderful aroma of the soup thinking, "It could have been nice if I have one right now."  Weather in the Midwest continues to drop as winter is fast approaching, and instead of going to my usual "route" of making some soups and hearty dishes (i.e. Stew, Sinigang or Pot Roast), I decided to try a new one this time.  Needless to say, I got inspired to make the dish (Caldo De Res) even though I have not tried nor tasted one before but just the looks of it made me curious.  I tell ya', the picture doesn't do justice...this dish is a sure keeper and boy, was I glad I braved to make it because the whole family loved it!





Ingredients

2-3 pounds beef shank, bone-in beef chuck or beef ribs, cut into serving sizes
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 red potatoes, quartered
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 fresh corn in a cob, chopped
1/2 medium head cabbage, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tomato, quartered
  salt to taste
2 cans beef broth or stock
5 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 fresh limes (optional)

 
In a large pot over high heat, cover beef ribs with beef broth and add some water (about 3 cups) depending on the amount of your meat.  Sprinkle with salt and add onions, tomatoes and garlic.  Let it boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.  Uncover and skim off the foam and grease.  Add the rest of the ingredients except cabbage and 1 tablespoon of cilantro.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  Add cabbage, cover and simmer for another 30 minutes, until the meat is cooked and tender.  Adjust seasoning (add salt if you have to), turn the heat off.   Serve hot in a bowl, served with lime wedges (optional) and sprinkle with the remaining cilantro.  In our house, we pair it with tortilla chips but some people pair it with hot sauce and warm corn tortillas.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment