Monday, September 24, 2012

Pancit Canton Guisado




I have to confess, I have attempted making this dish several times before and not even once I ever got it perfect until today!  Okay, I exaggerated a bit but maybe almost perfect, I should say.   There are many different versions of making this dish.  The array of ingredients that you can use are endless!  In here, I integrated what I had in hand from pork meat (you can use chicken, or both) to carrots, cabbage and onions.  But you can definitely add more veggies like green beans, bell peppers or celery.  I think this recipe is spot on to my taste.  I use dried Canton noodles that I found at some Asian grocer.  My trick is cooking the noodles separately according to the box, then set it aside until ready to use.  I love making this dish for a number of reasons, it brings me back so much memories from home, and it's my hubby and daughter's favorite kind of noodles too!  I made this today and melted my heart seeing little Sweetpea having a big smile on her face as she saw it on the table for lunch coming home from school.  One of the reasons I get inspired to cook for my family simply because I know they appreciate it (regardless of my cooking skills, whether it turns out good or not), but when your little one wholeheartedly thanked you and say, "Mama, you're a good cooker!"(that's her grammar and I thought it's cute!)...that is enough for me to hear and put a smile on my face, too!


Ingredients:

1 pound dried Canton noodles (found in Asian grocery store)
1 pound pork or chicken, or a combination of both, cut into bite-sizes
2 cups green cabbage, chopped
2 medium sized organic carrots, thinly sliced
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon sherry cooking wine
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
lemon wedges, to garnish (optional)


Cook canton noodles according to package instruction.  Set aside.

Heat oil in a wok on medium high heat.  Add meat until lightly browned.  Add onions and sherry wine.  Cook for few minutes until onions become soft.  Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt and pepper.  Cook for another 5 minutes.  You might lower the heat to medium on this stage.  If it starts to dry up, do not hesitate to add a little bit of water, if necessary.   Adjust the flavor accordingly with a sprinkle of salt or a dash of soy sauce until you reach your desired taste.  Add carrots and cabbage, saute for few minutes until tender but not mushy.  Put in canton noodles, and mix gently with the rest, adjust the taste.  Take off from heat.  Squeeze a lemon wedge on a serving plate.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment